I've committed this now, with a reference to this discussion.

Richard

Richard Heck wrote:
José Matos wrote:
On Friday 22 June 2007 17:42:34 Edwin Leuven wrote:
did you have a look at this one?
I had both under my radar. :-)

What are the (minor) differences between both patches?
Edwin's patch attempts to treat the alignment that happens to be the default (say, Justified) differently from the rest, by adding "(Default)" after it and doing away with a special "Default" button. There are two problems with this, I think. Quoting from the previous message:
[In my patch] The layout that happens to be the default isn't treated specially at all. The idea here is that saying, "Align this as default, whatever that is" is different from saying "Center this, come what may", even if, in the current layout, centering happens to be the default. This seems the right behavior, as the option certainly exists in LaTeX. At the moment, however, LyX itself ignores this difference: if you choose "Left", and that is the default, it's effectively the same as choosing "Default", due to a bug in Text::setParagraph(). That will be fixed at a later stage. It may involve more than should be done prior to 1.5.0, and I don't have the time right now, anyway.
Second:
As J"urgen also pointed out, trying to treat what is in fact the default alignment differently runs into problems with multi-paragraph selections, since there may be no common default in such cases.
This could presumably be handled, but you'd need to modify the controller so that it would report whether we have a multi-paragraph selection. And, in any event, the best reason is the first., which was first raised by Helge and has since been endorsed by Joost, J"urgen, and (I think) Alfredo.

Richard

Richard G Heck, Jr
Professor of Philosophy
Brown University
http://frege.brown.edu/heck/
Get my public key from http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de
Learn how to sign your email using Thunderbird and GnuPG at:
http://dudu.dyn.2-h.org/nist/gpg-enigmail-howto