Le 5 juil. 07 à 16:34, Jürgen Spitzmüller a écrit :

Mael Hilléreau wrote:
1. Create a new doc.

2. Run latex.

3. View the LaTeX log.

4. Switch to another buffer. Zoops! The log dialog is closed.

Bug?

Probably yes.

I agree, but I have bad news... There are going to be many of dialogs that behave like this one. AFAIU, precisely all dialogs whose controller has a method "virtual bool isBufferDependent() const" returning true. You can find them in all "src/frontends/controllers/ ControlXXX.h" source files.

BTW, there seems to be an rc1/rc2 bug for some of them (e.g. graphics dialog don't hide anymore when switching buffer, whereas it did in 1.4.4). Please could you confirm?

But I'm now convinced that most of these dialogs should remain hidden when another buffer is displayed. Indeed, it is senseless (despite respecting the "don't close without prompt" UI guideline) to keep on screen e.g. a graphics dialog when switching to another buffer (unrelated info).

Besides, this reinforces my idea that UI guidelines are good in theory, but that there's a need to consider functionality and practice as well ;-)

IMO, exceptions are to be when dealing with child documents. For example, the LaTeX log of a master document shouldn't be hidden when switching to one of its children (because it contains info related to the contents of children). But it should be hidden otherwise.

However, IMO, for most of these dialogs (such as graphics, label, citation, reference, etc.), there would be an easier and better solution regarding buffer switch (among others): make them modal! After all, what is the benefit of keeping such dialogs independent from the main window?

Clearly, this would have non negligible advantages:

* This would definitely unseat problems such as the one described by Rob at the beginning of this thread, increasing UI intelligibility.

* This would also unclutter the screen, as complained in bug #3836.

* Finally, this would also simplify some code (e.g. disabling some menu entries, as mentioned in bug #1720, wouldn't be needed anymore).

May I file an enhancement request for better/modal dialogs?

Mael.