Sven Hoexter wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 10:18:03AM +0200, Peter Kümmel wrote:
>> Sven Hoexter wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> while preparing a Debian package for the upcoming 1.5 release I've
>>> experienced a huge performance problem with 1.5rc1. Now I tried to find a
>>> reason and had to find out that the current trunk will segfault when I build
>>> it with the boost libs provided in the Debian archive.
>> But it doesn't crash when using lyx/boost?
> Yes.
>
>>> I don't know if someone is willing to take a lookt at the issue. If yes
>>> I've prepared the strace output and a backtrace from gdb.
>>> http://sven.stormbind.net/debian/lyx/lyx15svntrunksegfault.txt
>>> http://sven.stormbind.net/debian/lyx/lyx15svntrunksegfault_bt.txt
>>>
>>> I've build the trunk from today with
>>> ./configure --without-included-boost && make
>>>
>>> Boost in Debian unstable is at version 1.34.0.
>> We also use boost 1.34.0.
>> Is the debian version of boost patched?
> Slightly but all patches are in the package since the last boost upload to
> Debian in May.
>
> I even rebuild LyX 1.5rc1 and it still works fine with the Debian boost
> packages. ATM it seems to me that there have been changes to the LyX codebase
> post 1.5rc1 that somehow influence the relation with the external boost libs.

Maybe someone has an idea:

74      LyXView::LyXView(int id)
75              : work_area_(0),
76                toolbars_(new Toolbars(*this)),
77                autosave_timeout_(new Timeout(5000)),
78                dialogs_(new Dialogs(*this)),
79                controlcommand_(new ControlCommandBuffer(*this)), id_(id)
80      {

when crashing it goes from line 79 to the ctor of Dialogs and I
assume that the crash happens there.
The last patch there is
http://www.lyx.org/trac/changeset/18684

rc1 was released at May 31, the patch is from May 6. The patch adds a connect
and you have  a crash in the boost/signals. Bingo.
Could you check if this line is responsible to your crash by commenting it out?

--
Peter Kümmel