On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 06:35:52PM +1000, Darren Freeman wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 10:29 +0200, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
> > Guillaume Pothier wrote:
> > > Abdel, I tried your patch and it actually makes things noticeably slower!
> >
> > Too bad! I guess the performance depends on the pixmap painting
> > capabilities of your system. On Windows and I think Mac, it is
> > definitely faster.
>
> What does that say about our systems... that Win and Mac require help to
> run fast, or that X11 can't be helped :)

The problem here is that the drawing systems are "incompatible" in so
far as making something fast on one system has a certain potential to
slow down other systems. On X11, and most notably on remote X11,
performance is often limited by the communication speed of client and
server, and increasing that requires sending little data and don't do
anything requiring synchronous feed back. Otoh on Windows one gets
usually pretty good (text drawing) results by doing everything locally
and sending the final result in one chunk to the graphics card.

Andre'