[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Your approach is valid, but somewhat unsafe as others may alter your layout with no reasonable trace. Yes, this is a drawback with the current system, but difficult to do something about.

Well, if you're worrying about there being untrustworthy LyXers out there, I'm probably the least trustworthy of the lot, so my files should be safe. ;-)

I see your point, though. Layout files seem an unlikely target for the ill-intentioned, but it's possible some well-intentioned but perhaps misguided soul might modify the layouts and upload the new ones over the ones I posted. If so, I expect it will be caught when the screaming starts on the user list.

This is also why we should avoid placing "official" files _inside_ the wiki - more or less everybody can upload a modifed versione.

That makes sense, unless you can create an upload area readable by all but writable only by the developers. As far as my tweaked layouts go, they won't be official until Juergen folds them into a subsequent release, at which point the wiki copies will be irrelevant.

There's been some comment on the user list about the desirability of having more people share layouts and such. I had thought the wiki would be the ideal place for this. It doesn't seem practical to use bugzilla to hold the files in general, so if not the wiki, then where?

Cheers,
Paul