Tommaso Cucinotta wrote:
Helge Hafting ha scritto:
If you di this - please make that a progress bar (or similiar) inside
the main window - _not_ a popup thing. :-)
Ok, guess smth. besides (or embedded into) the status bar. Despite
the appearence, I guess the main problem is that LyX has a single
thread design.

Yes, and this doesn't have to change to do what you envision. I had once a patch that used the forkedcall mechanism that is used for graphics conversion (and for instant preview). As you probably know, graphics are converted asynchronously before they are shown on screen. I had once a patch that did exactly that but I can't seem to find it :-(

So, if you have a long activity to be run externally to
the current doc (let's say compiling a LaTeX/PS/PDF), it is safe to
let the user keep modifying the doc. On the other hand, if the activity
needs access to the doc, user activities should be inhibited (this
is perfectly done by a very long Gui callback, even though it is not good
to see),

No, only the export to latex needs be synchronous because this is done by LyX itself; all other conversion can be asynchronous.

Abdel.