On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 09:37:36AM +0200, Martin Vermeer wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 02:27:25AM +0200, Dov Feldstern wrote:
> >

> >  Martin Vermeer wrote:

> >  There's another consideration which you may already be aware of, but which
> >  only just found out now, after playing around with this: part of the
> > problem
> >  is that some of these latex commands process their contents in a verbatim
> >  fashion. For example, \url does not allow other latex commands inside it
> > ---
> >  e.g., typing "\selectlanguage{hebrew}" inside  a \url just gets processed
> >  verbatim. I had not realized that this was a latex --- rather than a LyX
> > ---
> >  limitation. So I guess that that's what the 'verbatim' option is
> > signifying
> >  in this case.

Yes, but it's also a verbatim LyX property now.

> >  Now, there's also another problem with the URL inset. Currently, I'm
> > having
> >  the same problem we were having a few weeks back with the ERT insets: if I
> >  try to insert a URL while typing Hebrew text, the font inside it is
> > Hebrew,
> >  and I can't switch it to English (well, again, I guess what I actually
> > want
> >  is latin, not English per-se?) because we disabled the lfuns. So we should
> >  be forcing the font inside the inset to latin, and I guess the best way we
> >  have for doing that is by forcing the font to latex_language. Does this
> >  sound right (despite what I was saying above about not expanding the usage
> >  of latex_language :( ) --- i.e., should we be forcing latex_language for
> > all
> >  'verbatim' insets?

I would not be happy about this as I said. Elaborating, the
problem of needing in this case to switch encodings is due to
a LaTeX limitation. If LaTeX were Unicode-capable, we could
just write, and the typed chars would come out right by
themselves. As it is, the Unicode must be converted to 8-bit
encodings with switches inbetween. LyX2lyx ought to handle this
transparently.

How is the encoding decision taken BTW in LyX? Only based on
the language mark-up? Or could it look at the actual characters
too?

- Martin