I've fixed the crash reported by Bernhard at r23549. But I'm still puzzled about something. The crash is probably a consequence of my attempt to work on Paragraph.cpp, but I'm not sure exactly what's happened. The backtrace gives me a crash in the Layout constructor, and from there in basic_string. So it looks as if there's an uninitialized string in the Layout object, but I don't see how that could be. I think the the paragraph in question is using emptyParagraphLayout, which is simply a static and otherwise undefined Layout object:
   namespace {
       Layout const emptyParagraphLayout;
   }
But why should this have an uninitialized member?

Anyway, I'm quite puzzled by this and worried we'll find similar problems elsewhere. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Obviously, svn up -r 23548, then Help>LaTeX Configuration to generate the crash.

rh