Jürgen Spitzmüller schrieb:
AFAICS we cannot set a default. It's just inserted alphabetically to the combo, and the first item is chosen (that's why I added a hint to select "PDFLaTeX" in the description window).

- Inserting pdfpages options to LaTeX is senseless because it promise a
feature that is not available with LaTeX but only with PDFLaTeX. Therefore
I suggest to remove "LaTeX" from the options combobox when the External
inset is pdfpages.

It's also available with VTeX that relies on the LaTeX, not the PDFLaTeX format, AFAIK.

The free version of VTeX (Linux/OS2) ist dead.
However, you always run vlatex, its _default_ output is pdf.

Herbert