Christian Ridderström wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently using Mercurial (hg) for working on some build scripts because I don't know where I should put them in the SVN tree.

Could someone point me to a good place in the SVN tree? I'd rather not put them in lyx-devel at the moment as that tree is just too big.

For me a simple alternative is to keep using Mercurial, but I'd like to make the repository available to others, which means an installation of Mercurial is needed on Aussie. Would other developers benefit from having Mercurial on aussie? If so, I'll ask Jean-Marc to install it. (I know that Dov has installed it locally already).

regards
/Christian

You could host your repository at bitbucket (http://www.bitbucket.org) --- it's a mercurial-hosting site. You can open a free account with 150MB. Their customer service is very good, even for free accounts.

Not that I'm opposed to having mercurial installed on Aussie, by any means... ;)

A bit off-topic: if anyone's interested in using mercurial for LyX itself:

I created a mercurial mirror of the LyX repository, and that's what I've been using for the past year or so (except for committing back to svn, which still requires svn itself); however, there are still a few problems with it, which is why I never made it public. But if anyone's interested, let me know and we can see what can be done. The problems are these:

1) the svn->mercurial conversion tools do not deal well with branches that are not directly under the branches/ directory. In the LyX repo, although most branches are directly under branches/, those under branches/personal are not. The conversion scripts recognize branches/personal itself as a branch, and so all the branches under personal are not recognized as versions of trunk, but as hierarchies within a single version. This means that the repository size grows to over 1GB. I have reported this issue to mercurial, but no solution yet, as far as I know.

2) When I first created the mercurial mirrors, I was automatically updating it every half hour, using a cron job on Aussie. However, at some point the conversion tool was updated, which caused it to enter a very very long loop (endless, for practical purposes --- it was being killed by cron after taking too long) after every update; so now the conversion does not take place automatically anymore. The issue is reported at http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/bts/issue1133.

3) There's a newer mercurial extension for interacting with subversion (called hgsubversion), which also allows pushing back to svn from a mercurial repo --- something which was not possible until now. However, it requires the svn server to be at least 1.4 or 1.5 (I don't remember which). Any plans for upgrading LyX's subversion server?

Dov