http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/03/13/1925238 :

"...One solution to this is to simply pair up LaTeX with version control software (such as Subversion) to allow multiple collaborators to work on the same document at one time. But adding Subversion to the mix only seems to increase the learning curve... The closest I can approximate would be to have something like Lyx (to hide the learning curve of LaTeX) with integrated svn (to hide the learning curve of svn). However, this doesn't seem available."

I recall that there was some development work done in this respect fairly recently, someone from the dev team may want to pipe in on the thread there. Actually, a few people already point out there that LyX *does* support svn, if anyone has mod points you could mod those up!

There are also some other interesting, not necessarily collaboration-related, opinions on LyX in the thread...

Enjoy!
Dov