I've been using trunk for real work recently, partly to test what
works best for widgets. Here's what I think:

The main principle I think we should follow on Mac, with its
1-document-per-window paradigm is to make sure that interface elements
that pertain only to a particular document in some way attach to the
window itself rather than float freely. Otherwise, it gets too
confusing knowing which floating widget belongs with which document.

So what I propose is that widgets like spellchecking, advanced find,
and outline should default to docked widgets, in the same places they
appear for other systems. (I'm unsure whether it's better to have the
outline widget as a drawer as in 1.6.x. The major problem I see with
defaulting to a drawer is that there's no way for users to override
this and make it docked or floating. So I propose for the 2.0 alpha
series to try it as a docked widget and see whether we get protests.)

Other views?

BH