Dear LyX Developers,

I just recently updated to the most recent SVN of LyX 2.  After doing
so, I've seen a huge increase in clashes with the geometry package.

It appears as though LyX is now adding
\usepackage[letterpaper]{geometry} to the preamble of all LyX documents,
including in instances where US letter is not the default.  Is there a
reason for this change or would it be alright to submit a patch that
reverts LyX to its previous behavior?  (In a run of six docs that I
tested, I was having option clash errors in four of them.)

Also, might it be possible to modify LyX's behavior so instead of

\usepackage[letterpaper]{geometry}

might it instead use the \geometry macro to specify paper size and
margins:

\usepackage{geometry}
\geometry{letterpaper,hmargin=1.0in,vmargin=1.0in}

The latter approach would accomplish the same thing, but might avoid
conflicts with document classes that also use geometry.

Cheers,

Rob Oakes