Stephan Witt wrote:
> >> I see in the constructor SystemcallPrivate::SystemcallPrivate
> >> (SystemCall.cpp)
> >> the error output of the child process is collected only if it's going to
> >> an terminal.
> >> I think it would be better to collect it unconditionally to show it in the
> >> message window.
> >> What do others think?
> >
> > whats the point of collecting it if we are not going to show it?
>
> The point is that you can read it when looking for it in the message window.
> That's currently not possible, the error messages are lost.
>
> Here on Mac if I start LyX the stdin, stdout and stderr are redirected on
> startup.
>
> If I remove the os::is_terminal(os::STDERR) test the output becomes visible.
>
> Another story is to show the errors in the alert popup. This can be improved
> too.

i'm not sure what are side effects of kicking out os::is_terminal(os::STDERR)
tests.
when i shortly peeked to sources it seems to be little bit messy how we mix
variables
which govern whether we ouput err messages on console and on window.
the right thing might be to fix this than to remove the tests...

pavel