Pavel Sanda <sa...@lyx.org> writes:
> philosophically, this looks good. is the default white background
> necessary consequence (i think this was the main point raised, not the
> machinery behind)?

The original code initialized the hardcoded colors, then overrode them
with the system colors as necessary, and finally read the prefs to set
the use colors. This means that everything could be overridden nicely.
After the initial backlash, I had to add a checkbox. However, by the
time I have the value of the checkbox, I am already reading the prefs
and it is too late to read the system colors. Are you still following
me?

So the current philosophy is different, since it implies to read colors
normally, but override them with the OS colors on the fly (the color
change without restarting when os them is changed, BTW). This means in
practice that all these colors are not configurable in LyX anymore. One
possibility would be to have:

system background: set by system or linen by default

user background: inherited by default (transparent), can be changed by
user. This is the color of the main text inset owned by the buffer.

> exactly. if they melt on screen with black background, the black foreground
> diagrams can not be seen. this problem arises, because paper in the printer
> doesn't follow the lyx's background settings ;)

Since I cannot come up with a bright idea, I guess we should keep this
color.

> the note was against blind removals. for both issues raised in my last mail
> (background & graphics background) i tried to put reasonable arguments.

Agreed, What about tabular lines now. Does someone think they deserve to
be configurable (not the dotted ones, the plain ones)?