I've been starting to get a few of the people I work with to convert to LyX
and I've been noticing that when sending documents between authors it would
be convenient to not always be ZIPping up all the dependencies.  Is there
any chance that patches to allow embedding files in LyX documents would get
accepted into LyX mainline?  My thought would be to have something like the
following before the actual document:

\begin_resources
\begin_file "MyLayout.layout" <Last Modification Time> <File Size>
<Base64 Encoded Layout File>
\end_file
\begin_file "figures/MyFigure.pdf" <Last Modification Time> <File Size>
<Base64 Encoded Figure File>
\end_file
\end_resources

The idea would be that these files would only be used if the local files did
not exist. Additionally, these files would get updated automatically if the
local file was ever modified and then document was re-opened.  I believe
that this kind of resource inclusion would greatly improve the ability to
share LyX documents, so if this proposal sounds acceptable then I would be
happy to put in the work to make it happen.

Erich Hoover
ehoo...@mines.edu