On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 02:52:35PM +1000, Allan Rae wrote:

> P.S.  I've spent so much time writing this that I'm inclinded to just
> include it word for word in the next issue of LDN rather than just link to
> to it.  Do you have a problem with me doing that?  Do you want your quotes
> removed and I'll rewrite it as a more general address?
>
> P.P.P.S.  The next issue was going to have a big GUII feature anyway.
> Your email has just helped get it written sooner.

It's definitely a good idea to have a GUII feature. However, I think this
email references specific points which average readers (and that's whom LDN
is geared to, right?) may not care about.  Also, it's really long. I would
suggest a summary of (1) reasons you decided to go GUII in the first place,
(2) reasons why GUII is still a good idea even though GNOME and KDE work
pretty well now, (3) advances that have been made in GUII and the resulting
betterment of LyX. You can always link to the mailing list thread if anyone
wants to read it in its entirety.

That said, I liked a lot of your points, and although I dont seem to be much
of an active developer and know nothing about toolkits, I'll add my support
to the current LyX team direction.

-Amir