Stephan Witt <st.witt <at> gmx.net> writes:

> That's why it's crucial to have a so-called "shebang" at start of a script.
> If it's missing the script gets executed by the login shell. For scripts
> installed and used system-wide this is not good.
>
> I have the #! line at start of all of my own scripts.

Sure, you can do this as you know where the binaries are.
I did the same for years for a system-wide installation
that I had full control on.

AFAIR, the first line in epstopdf (and in all the perl scripts in the
latex distribution binaries directory) tries to avoid errors when the perl
binary is not in the standard place (/usr/bin/perl) but e.g. in the local
directories (/usr/local/bin/perl).

The shell command in the first line has a syntax which sould be interpreted
 correctly by any flavour of the shell spawned to execute the calling command.

--
Jean-Pierre