If I start LyX from the terminal, everything works fine.

But if I just start LyX by double clicking on a .lyx file, then I have
problems (pasted at the end of email). I have tried reconfigure.

Do I have a problem with permissions or something? I don't see why the two
would be different.

I have tried reconfigure and reinstalling and neither has helped.

Here is the error in LyX:

File does not exist: /tmp/lyx_tmpdir.MT6574/lyx_tmpbuf2/testfile.pdf

In the terminal, here is the output:

Systemcall.cpp(238): Systemcall: 'pdflatex  "testfile.tex"' did not start!
Systemcall.cpp(239): error The process failed to start. Either the invoked
program is missing, or you may have insufficient permissions to invoke the
program.
Error: Cannot view file
File does not exist: /tmp/lyx_tmpdir.MT6574/lyx_tmpbuf2/testfile.pdf

I am using Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit.
LyX version 2.0.1svn
Qt 4.7.2
xuwang@ubuntu:~$ lyx --version
LyX 2.0.1svn (not released yet)
Built on Jul 13 2011, 00:57:55
Configuration
  Host type:                    x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
  Special build flags:          build=development warnings assertions
stdlib-debug concept-checks
  C   Compiler:                 gcc
  C   Compiler LyX flags:
  C   Compiler flags:           -Wextra -Wall   -g -O
  C++ Compiler:                 g++ (4.5.2)
  C++ Compiler LyX flags:
  C++ Compiler flags:           -Wextra -Wall   -g -O
  Linker flags:
  Linker user flags:
  Qt 4 Frontend:
      Qt 4 version:             4.7.2
  Packaging:                    posix
  LyX binary dir:               /usr/local/bin
  LyX files dir:                /usr/local/share/lyx

any ideas?

Thank you, Xu