Tommaso Cucinotta wrote:

> Il 31/08/2011 21:19, Georg Baum ha scritto:
>> This plan exists for ages. The graphics inset even was already ditched at
>> some point in time, but it got reintroduced later, because the external
>> inset did not work that well back then. IIRC there is also a bug entry
>> for that. You will be a hero if you finally manage to do this!
> which bug number ? Or, what to exactly search for in the database ?

I searched now and did not find it, so probably my memory was wrong.

> that's also my feeling: external material seems more generic than
> graphics, and after all each graphics may be handled via the RasterImage
> external material, or probably a variation of it that merges together at
> least the RasterImage, Dia and XFig external material types (or the
> other way round, i.e., each different file type into its own external
> material kind -- which one is best?).

IMHO one template per file type is overkill. There should be as little
templates as possible, and each template should handle a group of file types
that have something in common. The RasterImage is a good example. A similar
VectorImage template for generic vector images would also be useful. I
believe that the Dia template is in fact a generic vector image template (or
could be changed to be one). Only programs that support inline LaTeX and/or
produce more than one file like XFig need a dedicated template

> I'm not sure why some of the external material contents are not
> previewed on the screen.

Which templates?

Georg