Il 07/10/2011 00:51, Richard Heck ha scritto:
On 10/06/2011 04:42 PM, Tommaso Cucinotta wrote:
I'm sure you have some concrete "trouble scenario" in your
mind. Please, explicit it.
The only scenario I have in mind is users complaining when such things fail
and it's got nothing to do with LyX but instead because some external
converter
has failed. Or we start having weird crashes. Or who knows what.

It seems almost anti-Unix to me. Unix is about one tool doing one thing
well.
This is about making LyX do something totally unrelated, like convert svg to
png or whatever.

ok, ok -- you're right. The true Unix approach would require to factor
the whole conversion logic out of LyX into a separate stand-alone tool
(which would still be part of the LyX package). But one more LFUN
and some "glue" that adds "lyx -c" seems to me useful and achievable
via an acceptable trade-off for now.

I mean, how many times while writing pure LaTeX papers, I have a colleague
of mine using funny tools and committing over the paper repo some .svg
file (not to mention myself, as I usually commit weird .odg or .dia stuff).
I could just drop in the Makefile a "lyx -c" invocation to get EPS out of
whatever, instead of replicating the graph logics already embedded
into the powerful LyX :-)! And, AFAICS, yet another reason to persuade
even LaTeX experts to try LyX out at least once :-).

(Not to mention using LyX as a pure LaTeX compiler helper tool, but I'm
not sure that works out of the box, e.g., without the intermediate lyx step)

    T.