Hi Rob,

first: great project! I constantly struggle with converting file to
and from MS Word. I now use the Word-->OOffice--> Latex--> Lyx Route,
with the needed manual cleanup of Latex code and an additional cleanup
of ERT code from LyX after LaTeX import. It is not fun. A project like
yours would make LyX much, much easier to use in an academic
environment.

I am going to address your questions from the perspective of a
Humanities scholar. My observations may not be representative of the
vast majority of current LyX/LaTeX users. On the other hand, a project
like yours may potentially expand LyX's user base by an order of
magnitude, in my opinion. So here we go:

> Is this a tool that would prove useful to yourselves, your collaborators,
> and others?
> What features would you consider essential?

> (Right now, styles based conversion looks pretty easy -- going from Heading
> 1 in Word to Chapter, for example. But I'm not sure how well it would
> convert maths. This is something I'll still need to look at, and may require
> writing an additional module.)

As I said, it would be very important. In my experience, there are
three main scenarios where the tool would be precious:

1. Conversion of personal legacy documents (all the stuff you wrote
before you discovered LyX)
2. Collaboration with colleagues and students
3. Submission to journals (I don't know of a single journal in my
field and related fields that accepts Latex. They all want MS Word.)

1 and 3 are obviously one way (in opposite direction). 2 requires a
Word<-->LyX roundtrip

I think the most important scenarios are 2 and 3. And obviously 2
includes 3 and 1, so solving the collaboration scenario would be
optimal.

Features:

I think a good starting assumption is that final formatting will NOT
be provided by MS Word. If you (or your team) has to produce
camera-ready output at the end of the collaborative work, LyX is a
much better tool. If you submit to a journal or a press, they will do
the formatting.This means most Word-based typography can be
eliminated. I mean: margins, typefaces, font sizes, etc, with the
exception of different scripts, which are of course crucial (although
with Unicode this problem should be solved now).  Only semantic
formatting should be kept: emphasis/italics, sectioning info, lists,
footnotes, etc. Plus all info about pictures and picture placement,
tables (these are not trivial, I guess) and similar floats, and,
mostly for books, indexing information.

Preserving tracking info wold also be very useful.

Cross-referencing would also be important (I have no idea how Word
does it, if at all).

Math, on the other hand, would not be very important. That is: I
assume math would be finally produced by Latex, if camera-ready is
required, or by the publishing house. A rough approximation would be
sufficient (this from a Humanities perspective, of course).

References would be very very important.

> What is the best tool to look at for guidance in creating a new script for
> word2lyx? tex2lyx?

I would look at Word2Tex, which is proprietary, however. In general,
though, most existing tools try hard to preserve the look of a
document instead of following the approach I recommend, thereby
getting into all sort of complications. There was a very useful tool
for Framemaker <--> LyX conversion that stuck to the semantic-only
approach and worked pretty well (I was a Framemaker user before moving
to LyX). It was very simple and I believe it is still available:
http://pages.cs.brandeis.edu/~pablo/mif2lyx. It is a Perl script.

> Does the script need to support special cases, such as importing Word "track
> changes"?

See above

> Just how important do you consider "round-tripping" a document, e.g., going
> from LyX to Word and back to LyX.

Yes!

> Is there anyone who might be interested in collaborating on this?

I am afraid I cannot help with coding. But I am willing to help in
other ways if needed.

Cheers,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org