On 02/29/2012 10:45 PM, Jack Tanner wrote:
Niklas Burtscheid<Niklas.Burtscheid<at>  gmx.de>  writes:

There should be an option in the general preferences to show the statistics (number
of characters&  number of words) permanently in the status-bar (at the right
side of it).
Recent versions of Word do exactly this, and it's pretty handy. Implementing
this would allow LyX to lose the Tools->Statistics menu entry and corresponding
dialog, so that's a usability win in my book. I'm not a developer, but I'd suggest
filing an RFE.

If someone wants to implement this, and have it off by default, I suppose they can do so, but I can't see the point of it. Do you really need to know, as you type each character, how many characters there are?

Richard