Vincent van Ravesteijn wrote:
> You had made local commits onto your master branch. If you then do 'git
> pull'. It will fetch the commits from the master branch at the server and
> merge them with your local commits.

Thanks for all you answers; started to push things into wiki, so we don't
need to ask it again and again here (http://wiki.lyx.org/Devel/Git).

> Personally I really advice to always create a new branch to do your own
> development.

Yes I know :)

>From some previous posts I extracted into wiki:
git checkout -b myfeature
... edit something
git commit -a
git push origin myfeature:master

The merge command you propose is: ...

I suppose (but never really tried) that by default plain "git push" won't
push any local branches unless (once?) explicitely sent via "git push origin
myfeature:master".
I know how to do it otherwise but is there some simple merge command which
put the whole branch as a single commit into master without noticing others
about the branch-history-mess in my local tree?

Pavel