On Apr 20, 2012, at 9:21 AM, Tommaso Cucinotta wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just made a colleague try LyX 2.0.3 on a Mac OS-X
>
> OS-X: 10.6.8
> LyX: 2.0.3
>
> but he immediately complained about how slow it was scrolling a very simple
> .lyx document consisting of 3 or 4 pages of contents.
> Is there any special trick needed on Mac OS-X to get from LyX what a regular
> Mac user considers an acceptable interactivity level / performance ?
>
> What further information (e.g., from the OS) can I ask to gather in order to
> identify the issue, and how such info is obtained ? (I know almost nothing
> about Mac).
>
> I've appended the comment to this bug as well:
>
>  http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/7583
>
> Thanks,
>
>    T.
[I'm not a developer but...]

This problem has been discussed at length here (actually, on lyx-users list) in
January and there might already be a ticket for it--at least the developers are
aware of the problem.

I found partial relief by downloading the source from SVN and compiling 2.1.0
myself. I don't know whether that is within your capability or desire. Also,
changing this preference as described from that thread helped:

  "...one may add the following line to your preferences file:
  \force_paint_single_char false
  On a Mac this is the file "~/Library/Application Support/LyX-2.0/preferences".
  (Broken cursor placement for long lines should be one consequence.)"

The last parenthetical comment means that if you make this change, sometimes
the cursor will be placed a few pixels from where it should be. The worst case
might be a long line of "m"s which is of course contrived, but you might see
lesser anomalies in other scenarios.

Like I said, "partial relief." With these changes, LyX scrolling is still a far
cry from what it is on a "native" app on OS X.

There is also a bug on OS X with trackpad scrolling where slow two-finger
gestures are ignored--there should be a ticket for that already. (The gesture
is ignored if the cursor is in the window content region but not if it is the
window's elevator bar.)

Jerry