From: Richard Heck [rgh...@comcast.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 9:26 AM

>> Should we first check if the bst files are indeed different? If they are not
>> different, then I don't think we need to >>bother the user with extra
>> information/options.
>This isn't a bad idea, but I'm not sure how to do it reliably and
cross-platform.

Is there an open source cross-platform SHA calculator or something similar?

I could write a function that just runs through the files and compares lines. A
custom function might be useful in this case so that we could, for example, see
if the files are different disregarding comments.

I wonder if an "exact file duplicate" function might be useful in LyX in other
parts as well. For example, in Compare LyX files is it worth a check at the
beginning that both files are the same? Most users probably use that tool
knowing that their files are different and they want to see the differences;
but I imagine there is the occasional user that just wants to know if the files
are different and in that case a file check at the beginning might be faster.

Scott