I've only tried this for importing .tex and .csv files but whenever I import
them LyX automatically saves the resulting lyx file. In some cases, this is
exactly what I want to do but I was surprised because in my experience usually
an import function just imports and does not automatically save. I searched but
could not find any previous discussion on this.

Instead of "import" I would describe this as "convert the file (assuming an
output file name) and open" although "import" does sound nicer.

In any case, I could see this behavior causing problems. A few examples:
1. If a user tries to import a .tex file from a read-only directory (which
seems legitimate to me) they get an (uninformative) error.
2. If they have an existing .lyx file with the same name, they will be asked if
they want to overwrite that file. I think this message would confuse users that
thought they were just importing a .tex file.
3. Often I want to import a .tex file from one folder and save it to a
different folder. It's not much of a pain to save-as it and then delete the
other one. But until now I didn't realize that I needed to delete the other one.
4. Similar to (3) I often want to import a few .tex files (usually tables) and
merge them into one .lyx file.

The current behavior does have some advantages. I think in most cases the user
is planning on saving the .tex file with the same name. Also, it's nice if you
want to convert a lot of .tex files at once and you aren't comfortable with the
command line. You can just drag them on top of LyX and you're done.

I could get used to this "convert and open" behavior now that I expect it, but
I just wanted to mention my surprise. What I expected to happen was what
happens when you create a new document. I expected to have an unsaved
newfile1.lyx.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Scott