On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Liviu Andronic <landronim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Yihui Xie <x...@yihui.name> wrote:
>> If the only goal is to edit R code externally, it is already possible
>> with knitr: http://yihui.name/knitr/demo/externalization/
>>
> I've tested this and the feature seems very useful (in a way, exactly
> what I was looking for), but not immediately obvious for a new user.
> Would you consider including a point on this in the Help Manuals >
> Knitr? Perhaps even show off an example of external code in this
> document?

We may publish another article to update Gregor Gorjanc's article on
LyX/Sweave: http://www.r-project.org/doc/Rnews/Rnews_2008-1.pdf In the
new article, we can introduce all new features since then; I discussed
this with Greg and JMarc earlier last year, but we did not really work
on it. Perhaps we do not need separate manuals for Sweave and knitr.

I'll write a draft paper later today.

>> And a general solution of sending program code to the terminal might
>> be more useful.
>>
> But then I'm not sure that I understand what is the difference between
> your original idea and my half-baked proposal. It seems to me that
> such functionality would cover "sending program code to the terminal"
> in a more general way.

Yes I mean your proposal is more general.

> Cheers
> Liviu

Regards,
Yihui