On 15. april 2013 10:18, Rainer M. Krug wrote:
Hi

I guess many have seen it - LyX and it's successful application for GSoC
was on Slashdot [1]. That should give some publicity.

The first comment raised an interesting (already discussed) feature
which is missing in LyX: to enable the use of online LaTeX backends for
compilation.

This shouldn't be hard to get started. LyX is already capable of exporting a LaTeX file, all you need to add is the transfer to the online server - as well as fetching the resulting PDF. I would guess that libcurl could be used to perform the transfer.

Making this work for cases with included files and figures might be more work. And there is the question of what capabilities LyX should assume for the remote server.

LyX enables/disables features based on your local LaTeX feature set. You would either have to assume some reasonable remote feature set, or do remote detection. (Doable by uploading test files and see if they compile.)

This would have many advantages ranging from lighter installs (no LaTeX
needed) over making the LyX on mobile devices easier to implement to
more consistent results of compilation.

Now that would be interesting to see.

Helge Hafting