Hi Xueqing,

I apologize for not responding earlier. I saw your draft proposal, and I
had several things I wanted to point out. I am still desperately trying
to finish my work project (our deadline has been extended), and will
respond in more detail when able.

With that said:

I agree with Cyrille about the notepad application. In general, I would
devote no more than a day or two to this, as it is the equivalent of a
Qt hello world. It's value mostly relies in its ability to help build
confidence.

Because Qt is a full-featured UI toolkit, a notepad can be created very
easily with Qt Designer and a few lines of C++ code. Additionally, the
classes you'll be exploring are only tangentially related to LyX.

Instead, I would look at creating an example that uses the Model/View
classes. Those are directly related to the work you would be doing in
LyX. This link provides an overview of the model/view/delegate system in
Qt:
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/model-view-programming.html

There are several good examples distributed with the Qt demo programs
that can serve as a basis for exploration:
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/all-examples.html

In particular, I would look at the itemviews:
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/examples-itemviews.html

I think most of the things you will need to learn can be picked up in a
day or two of exploration. Qt is a very nice toolkit and, as far as
these things go, comes with a fairly low learning curve. (Learning
standard C++ is much more difficult, in my opinion.)

In addition to the model/view system, I think you would also be well
served by looking into the Graphics View framework:
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/graphicsview.html

Indeed, I think a great way to learn Qt would be to build a simple
notecard app which uses the model for data and QGraphicsScene for
drawing. The link below provides some suggestions on how to start:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3188584/how-to-use-qt-model-view-framework-with-the-graphics-view-framework

It might be good for us to visit via Google Talk. Would it be possible
for you to email me (off-list) a set of times when you might be
available?

Cheers,

Rob