On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Jack M. Lyon <edi...@editorium.com> wrote:
> Hi, Scott.
>
> Thanks for your message. Since LyXConverter is a commercial product, I can't
> share the source code, doggone it.

Jack,

Thanks for the clarification. This was my fault -- you do mention that
LyXConverter is a commercial product when you give the link.

> You might be interested in the layouts
> that come with it, however. You can download them here:
>
> http://www.editorium.com/ftp/LyXBookSampler.zip

Do you have any interest in having these layouts shipped with LyX? I'm
not sure they would be accepted. For example, I don't think we
currently have any layouts with >800 line preambles. But I just was
curious what you and others thought. I'm also curious if Creative
Commons 3.0 would even be compatible with LyX's GPL license. From what
I understand here (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/
) CC0 is compatible but CC2 is not?

> If you have further questions, please let me know.

I have the following questions:

1. Do you mind if I change "LyXConverter is a Microsoft Word add-in"
to "LyXConverter is a commercial Microsoft Word add-in" just to make
it a little more clear from the start?

2. What is the price after the 45-day trial period? I feel that
information should be given up-front.

3. Why is LyXConverter not listed on the main website
http://www.editorium.com/ ?
Is it in beta? Also note that www.editorium.com/lyxconverter.htm does
not work (that link is in LyXBook.pdf). Perhaps you're still getting
things set up.

4. Does this produce LyX files directly? If so, which format does it
write in? LyX's file format changes on each major release. Thus, a
minimum LyX version should be stated. If it does not produce LyX files
directly, how does it create a LyX file (e.g. through importing .tex)?

5. More of a suggestion: you could post examples of .doc files and
their corresponding .lyx files.

6. ushyphex.sty is not part of TeX Live as far as I know of. Is it
part of MiKTeX?

Finally, I would like to say that I'm happy to see this. I like that
you give a trial version, which should let the user see if it fits
his/her needs. I've gotten the impression that there are many users
looking for a high-quality conversion software from .doc(x) to .lyx
and that some of them will be happy to pay for it.

Best of luck,

Scott