On 08/03/2014 17:20, Richard Heck wrote:
On 03/08/2014 10:31 AM, Liviu Andronic wrote:
On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Liviu Andronic <landronim...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Abdelrazak Younes <you...@lyx.org> wrote:
On 07/03/2014 03:09, Tommaso Cucinotta wrote:
... instead of XML, as discussed so often ...

https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorvalds/posts/X2XVf9Q7MfV

Bad idea for a document, LyX is used to create structured document, not database, we are not going to create a new directory for each new inset... But I agree that XML is really not good for humans, we should switch to Json, not XML.

See related:
"JSON vs XML: How JSON Is Superior To XML"
https://www.udemy.com/blog/json-vs-xml/

For those dreaming of XML, the advantage of JSON would be that there
are readily available routes of conversion to and from XML (using
Python):
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8988775/convert-json-to-xml-in-python
https://github.com/quandyfactory/dicttoxml
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/191536/converting-xml-to-json-using-python
https://github.com/martinblech/xmltodict

Of course, that also means there are readily available routes of conversion to and from JSON, if we were using XML.

For what it's worth, I find JSON completely unreadable.

Weird :-)

Anyway, moving to XML (or Json) will be a already an excellent move; and the one that does the work is the one that decide! I reckon that it would be much easier at this point to switch to XML thanks to your hard work on the XHTML export. So I will support your decision in any case ;-)

That being said, I *personally* find XML much too verbose and error prone compared to Json if you write it with a plain text editor. Json is also much more compact, has nice notion of arrays and numerical values, etc. Also an efficient binary representation of Json is really easy to do and would be very valuable to optimize parsing if needed. We could probably also reuse the one proposed by Qt if we modify it a bit (ucs4 versus utf16). Last by not least, if we were to switch to Json, I would also move all the layout and config files to Json; but hey, there's close to zero chance that I find the time to do it so talk is cheap ;-)

Cheers,
Abdel.