I'm not sure this is the same issue: #9227 is about the main menu
superceding non-modal dialogs. I was suggesting changing the binding
within the Insert menu so "Alt+I, x" opens the box submenu instead of
inserting a Tex code box (since Ctrl+L does that).

I found a way to bind the raw command to a particular shortcut (Prefs >
Editing > Shortcuts > Cursor...Functions > box-insert) but inserting via
the menu allows me to choose which style of box.

Patrick