On 02/10/2015 15:38, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
Hello,

After a gentle push by Guillaume and a boring meeting, I decided to actually read the code that handles metrics computing and contents drawing. The result is the document below, which is available in development/PAINTING_ANALISYS.

It starts with questions that I had when writing the other sections of the document. I'd e glad if some of our old timers (and all current devs too, of course) could find time to read it and probe their brain to answer some of them. We cannot remain in a situation where we do not really know who paints what and when.

Will try...

Have a nice week-end.

This file tries to describe the state of the metrics/painting
mechanism, and identify the improvements that could be made. The first
section can be read alone, although the context for them is really
given in the following ones.

Please keep this file up to date as the code evolves!!!

Abbreviations:
bv: BufferView
pm: ParagraphMetrics
tm::TextMetrics

* Questions / Ideas

These questions are consequences of the description made in the
following section. Some actions are proposed.

** Inset cache

Why do we store inset dimensions both in bv::coordCache and in
pm::insetDimension? The later one is bad when same
buffer is shown in different views.

I propose to get rid of pm::insetDimension.

pm is bv dependent; so it should nicely adapt to it containing bv. I think you should keep pm::insetDimension and remove bv::coordCache completely instead. Design should be in the end like this:

* bv contains one tm
* tm contains multiple pm (tm can refer to the top InsetText or not)
* pm contains multiple insetDimension, one per inset in the paragraph.

** SinglePar update

The flag Update::SinglePar is set in many places but never acted on.
Instead, metrics update is skipped whenever the recorded height of
current paragraph did not change and Update::Force was not specified.
Is it better to keep that (which incurs extra work) or to condition it
on Update::SinglePar? If the first solution is kept, the flag
SingleParUpdate shall be removed.

SingleParUpdate would not be necessary if all elements did their job correctly. I also guess that SingleParUpdate assumes that there is only one InsetText, which is of course not true. We should aim to remove this flag.

Moreover, I fail to see (yet) where the 'single' part of the program
is acted on.

Maybe in some mouse triggered action...

** Two phase drawing

Why is it necessary to set the inset positions in the drawing phase?
It seems to me that everything can be done in the metrics phase (at
least for non-math insets).

What you say seems right, maybe it was not possible to that at the time.

** Buffer::change issues

When calling Buffer::changed outside of bv::processUpdateFlags,
how do we now that the update strategy is set correctly? It is
possible to reset the strategy at the end of bv::draw. What would be
a good value? NoScreenUpdate?

On a related note, what is the semantics of a call to
Buffer::changed(false)? What does the caller mean?

That the buffer contents and only the content content is changed. I guess this signal is abused for some other purpose.

** Metrics outside of visible area

Why is it required to compute metrics on page above and below the
visible area?

I think this was for scroll optimization, the idea is to not to compute the full buffer metrics in case a small scrolling is needed.

Couldn't this be done on demand? I suspect this could be
made transparent by doing it in the proper metrics-fetching method.

Maybe yes. You would have to assess if the on-demand computation does not slow down the minimal scrolling case. I remember Tomaso wanted to compute all bv metrics in one go to improve the scrolling time; computing small amount of metrics above and below visible area was seen as a good subjective compromise I guess.

** What happens with FitCursor when the cursor is already OK?

In this case, we invoke Buffer::change(false) with drawing disabled,
which means that the paint machinery is invoked to update inset
positions. Why is this necessary at all?

Maybe for Mouse Over? In order to draw the visible hints like the corners around the insets or the completion arrow?

** Merging bv::updateMetrics and tm::metrics

While the full metrics computation tries hard to limit the number of
paragraphs that are rebroken, the version that is used for inner inset
does not try any such optimization. This can be very bad for very tall
insets. How difficult would it be to re-use the bv::updateMetrics logic?

We should, definitely. And I think this was my plan actually at the time:
* transfer all the logic of bv::updateMetrics to tm.
* Main InsetText should not be special.

* Two phase drawing

There are two parts to drawing the work area:

 + the metrics phase computes the size of insets and breaks the
   paragraphs into rows. It stores the dimension of insets (both
   normal and math) in bv::coordCache, and the size of normal
   insets in pm::insetDimension.

 + the drawing phase draws the contents and caches the inset
   positions. Since the caching of positions is useful in itself,
   there is a provision for drawing "without" drawing when the only
   thing we want is to cache inset positions
   (Painter::setDrawingEnabled).

The machinery is controlled via bv::processUpdateFlags. This method is
called at the end of bv::mouseEventDispatch and in
GuiApplication::dispatch, via the updateCurrentView method. There are
also several calls in code related to dialogs. We should evaluate
whether this is correct.

Depending on the Update::flags passed to the method, it sets an update
strategy in (NoScreenUpdate, SingleParUpdate, FullScreenUpdate,
DecorationUpdate). It triggers a recomputation of the metrics when either:

 + Update::Force has been specified
 + Update::FitCursor has been specified and there is a need to scroll
   the display.
 + the current paragraph, after rebreak, has the same height as in
   existing metrics. Note that the Update::SinglePar flag is *never*
   taken into account.

The screen is drawn (with appropriate update strategy), except when
update flag is Update::None.

** Metrics computation

This is triggered by bv::updateMetrics, which calls tm::redoParagraph for
  + all visible paragraphs
  + paragraph above the screen (up to one page)
  + paragraphs below the screen (up to one page again)

The paragraphs outside of the screen are required to make PageUp/Down
work.

tm::redoParagraph will call Inset::metrics for each inset. In the case
of text insets, this will invoke recursively tm::metrics, which redoes
all the paragraphs of the inset.

** Drawing the work area.

This is done in bv::draw. This method is triggered mainly by
Buffer::changed, which draws all the work areas that show the given buffer.

Note that, When Buffer::changed is called outside of
bv::processUpdateFlags, it is not clear whether the update strategy
has been set to a reasonable value beforehand.

The action depends on the update strategy:

 + NoScreenUpdate: repaint the whole screen with drawing disabled.
   This is only needed to update the inset positions. I am not sure
   when this is necessary, actually. This is triggered when:
   - Update::FitCursor is set but the cursor is already visible. It is
     not clear why something needs to be done in this case, since this
     should be equivalent to Update::None.
   - this is also set when update flag is Update::None, but this value
     is AFAICS not acted on in the code (meaning that nothing happens
     at all in this case).

 + FullScreenUpdate: repaint the whole screen. This is set when:
   - updateMetrics has been invoked.
   - scroll value of current row has changed (although this should not
     be necessary).

 + DecorationUpdate: actually like FullScreenUpdate, although it is
   intended to only update inset decorations. This triggers when:
   - Update::Decoration is set (without Update::Force) as flag.
   - An hovered inset is detected.

 + SingleParUpdate: only tries to repaint current paragraph in a way
   that is not yet very clear to me.

This all seems correct... but last time I touch this code was more than 7 or 8 years ago so please take my comments with caution.

This is a very nice documentation effort in any case, thanks for that!

Abdel