Dear Uwe,

Keywords regression removed
Status changed from assigned to closed
Resolution set to wontfix
Milestone 2.2.0 deleted

I don't see a regression here. The point is that users insert
listings via the LyX menu or a shortcut. This inserts a lstlisting
environment that will not compile when inside a \footnote.

The user reported two valid use cases that are exceptions to this
behaviour: \lstinline and \usepackage{bigfoot}. This used to work before
⇒ regression.

With the expert setting of changing the inserted listing later on to
 an inline listing makes it compilable even in footnotes.

What is an "expert setting"? This option is proposed through in the
interface.

But who knows that?

The user "bigfoot" who found important enough to report this issue precisely?

Bug #9321 shows

Bug #9321 appears distinct to me: it is about a crash of LyX. Listings
not compiling was only mentioned as an off-hand remark not related to
the bug itself.

that average users don't know (and even me) this specialty.

Argumentum ad populum?

The result is that the user might be lost, his
document doesn't compile and he don't know why since the LaTeX error
message is not easy to understand.

So this is a separate issue?

I don't think that we should support things that break compilation
with the default settings.

Then maybe have listings in footnotes be added with the option inline,
with the possibility of changing it by hand afterwards? This sound good
to me, it would also fix the problem of users not knowing that this is a possibility.

Those very few users who really need
listings in footnotes (I am wondering that this makes sense in
real-life documents) must use TeX code to get this.

This does not sound reasonable to me given that it used to work.

And those users
have the knowledge to get this.

Many users certainly have the knowledge to not use LyX at all; it does
not mean they want to.

Therefore I won't revert the fix for bug #9321 until the other
developers disagree with me.

Note that #9321 was about LyX crashing and it is not supposed to, even if the LaTeX does not compile. Therefore what you refer to is not even a proper fix for #9321.

If you like you can bring this topic to
the lyx-devel mailing list.

Here we are.

If there is another decision reopen this bug.

The initial issue is that you attempted to fix #9321 by removing a functionality from LyX instead of investigating the crash. Here it happens that this decision was also misinformed.

Please, revert aa82c1cc, and open a new ticket if the compilation issue appears important to you. Also, if there is any crash, it should be investigated.

You called on a decision from the list. Therefore I will wait a bit for a discussion to happen before reopening the bug.

Sincerely,
Guillaume