Den 28. mars 2016 12:50, skrev Georg Baum:
It all boils down to the question: Is the addition of a new .layout file a file format change or not? It does not make sense to treat new layouts differently in stable and master, so either it is a file format change in master (and can't be put directly into the stable version), or it is not, and then it can simply be added both to master and stable. The same question is valid BTW for new modules. Currently we are a bit inconsistent here: New modules are not treated as file format changes, but new layouts are. IMO, we should make a list of pros and cons for "new layout files are a file format change", and the same for modules. I guess that a decision will not be difficult once we have such an explicit list. Below you can find the pros and cons I am currently aware of: Pro "new layout files are a file format change": - All documents produced by 2.2.x can always be edited and exported even if x is different. This is important for people using different machines, or echanging work wth

I am very happy that a new LyX does not break existing documents. Such compatibility is important for me as a user. When a new minor release is out, I can "just use it", trusting it to be ok. (Usually, a new major release is ok too.)

I do not see a problem with adding new features (such as a new layout or a new latex class or a new inset or a new font) as long as it is _strictly new_, that is, no change to existing stuff. The only difference then, is that the "new lyx" can do something the "old lyx" could not. Anything the "old lyx" did is still supported - without change.

But I see the potential for problems when users with different LyX versions collaborate, wonder if that happens a lot.
Might be a problem with new features in general, but not with "new layouts":

A new layout (without other upgrades) is particularly harmless - even a collaborator clinging to an older LyX of the same major version can open such a document if I give him the layout file. Which I can do, due to the nice licence. Even if he can't modify his LyX installation, he can use the new layout as a local layout. Given "no file format change", the new layout file is necessarily supported by the older lyx too, so no problems with new layouts.

Therefore, I think new layouts are ok at any time - as long as the existing ones aren't modified.

Helge Hafting