On 06.05.16 21:11, Guenter Milde wrote:
> On 2016-05-05, mn wrote:
>>> Do you get “ with Opt-" also in other applications?
>> Yes, this is a standard and defined system-wide on a Mac with
>> German keyboard-layout.
> So this is similar to AltGr+B on my German Linux keyboard.
>
> However, system-wide input conventions are not the topic of the lyx
> user guide.

D’accord. It just needs to be taken into account.
(Even if just for my own growing understanding)

> Actually, here I get with German keyboard and English locale:
> For single quotes you have to use the shortcut Alt+".>

For English doc/UserGuide.lyx.

[Since I prefer direct input I am also in favor of rephrasing this to
“can use”.]

>>> The User-Guide is "interactive", i.e. it adapts the description to the
>>> current configuration. This is intended.
>
>> As I commented previously, I noticed that en-UserGuide employs this
>> \shortcut-macro – also in other parts of the doc; in turn leading to
>> possible problems with the page margins.
>
>> And even after googling for it again I do not know how this macro is
>> created within LyX (since it does not show itself as ERT).
>
> It is expanded within LyX and not by LaTeX. I.e. the tex source already
> contains the expanded version (similar to the substitution of Unicode
> characters by LICR macros).

This explains how the shortcut-inset is handled once it is in a LyX
document.
How does one create it in LyX?
(Custom-Insets are empty)

>> But:
>> Viewing UserGuide en and de on the same machine, same OS, same
>> OS-UI-language, same Lyx-UI-language, same keyboard-layout should
>> produce the same shortcut?
>
> Yes.
>
>> It might be "interactive"; or adaptive? For the English doc.
>
>> en-UG says in the source:
>
>> For single quotes you have to use the shortcut
>> \shortcut{Control-\textquotedbl{}}.
>
>> while de-UG says in the source:
>
>> Um ein einfaches Anführungszeichens zu schreiben wollen, benutzen
>> Sie \textsf{Alt+``}.
>
> This is the LaTeX source, the LyX source is
>
> For single quotes you have to use the shortcut
> \begin_inset Info
> type  "shortcut"
> arg   "quote-insert single"
> \end_inset

And for the German doc it says here in the LyX-source:

\begin_layout Standard
Um ein einfaches Anführungszeichens zu schreiben wollen, benutzen Sie
\family sans
Alt+
\begin_inset Quotes grd
\end_inset

>> So, German UserGuide is not adaptive here.
>
> You are right, the part about quotes in the German guide does not use the
> info-inset and is not well translated.  Also missing is a sentence about
> the possibility to disable the "smart quote" key-binding and insert the ASCII
> quote with " and typographical quotes via system shortcuts.
>
> This is worth a track ticket.
>
>> It suggests the wrong modifier-key on Mac.
>
> Not sure here: what does the key combo Alt-" (i.e. Alt Shift-2) insert in
> your case?

As stated above, on Mac with German-Layout
Alt/OPt-Shift-2 gives German closing double-quotes: ”

mn