On Thu, Jun 02, 2016 at 05:32:31PM +0100, Guillaume Munch wrote:
> Le 02/06/2016 07:07, Scott Kostyshak a écrit :
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I have many system fonts installed (the command `fc-list | wc -l`
> > gives me 1595. Can anyone beat that?). When testing LyX's XeTeX
> > export with system fonts and various languages, it can be a little
> > annoying to find a font that has the necessary symbols. What I
> > usually do is e.g.
> >
> > fc-list :lang=he
> >
> > to list the fonts that support Hebrew.
> >
> > As Xe/LuaTeX are becoming more popular, I wonder if it would be worth
> > it to make this easier for users. The way we can do this is to have a
> > checkbox that says "restrict to document language". For example, the
> > screenshot shows all fonts that support Hebrew. I produced the
> > screenshot using the attached patch.
> >
> > So all we would need to do is map our list of document languages to
> > the WritingSystem enum, whose values are listed in the table here:
> > http://doc.qt.io/qt-4.8/qfontdatabase.html#WritingSystem-enum Could
> > we do that by adding another field in lib/languages?
> >
> > Does anyone think this would be worth the work? I don't actually
> > write anything except for English so I don't know. Maybe the way we
> > have things set up now is not a bother at all.
> >
> > Scott
> >

> Dear Scott,
>
> You are right, LyX deserves a better font selection dialog. I had a
> quick look: there is the QFontDialog widget which has a writing system
> selection menu. See https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qfontdialog.html and
> qtbase/examples/widgets/dialogs/standarddialogs/.
>
> The lyx font selection widgets could trigger this dialog instead of the
> drop-down menu. This should be easy to do. Note that this would also fix
> other issues, such as not being able to select specific fonts. For
> instance it is currently impossible to select Source Sans Pro Light.
>
> It does not seem to be possible to initialise the dialog with a specific
> writing system unlike what you suggest. If you find the motivation, you
> could implement a custom font selection widget based on
> qtbase/src/widgets/dialogs/qfontdialog.cpp (no size selection,
> defaultable writing system, no underlining, etc.). Another idea is to
> make the widget into a button (QToolButton) that, in addition to opening
> the font dialog when pressed, also has a drop-down menu showing the
> recently used fonts. That would be another way to make font selection
> more convenient.
>
> But, for a quick solution that also addresses other issues, my advice would
> be to make the button open the QFontDialog.

Thanks for taking a look and for the comments, Guillaume. It might be
nice to do as you suggest and move to QFontDialog. Whenever we can rely
on Qt it seems like that is the way to go. The preview widget contained
in that dialog is especially nice. I think what I'll do for now is just
open an enhancement request and post our ideas there. I do not want to
undertake such a project at this time.

Scott