Kornel Benko wrote:

> ATM cmake installs almost everything under the installation directory.
> Exceptions are (defaults for versioned)
> manuals /usr/local/man, (e.g. /usr/local/man/man1/man1/lyxclient2.3.1)
> lyx-icon /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/lyx2.3.svg
> desktop /usr/local/share/applications/lyx2.3.desktop
>
> So, under the installation directory we find directories
> bin, bind, commands, doc, examples, fonts, images, kbd, layouts, locale,
> lyx2lyx, scripts, templates tex, ui

Thanks for the explanation, now I understand what is meant. IMHO we should
follow the GNU standards (which autotools do):
http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Directory-Variables

This means we have a prefix (defaults to /usr/local and is set to /usr by
distro packagers). Everything is installed below the prefix. The listed
exceptions above would fit in this scheme, but the differences are in the
second list:

All LyX specific directories (bind, commands, doc, examples, images, kbd,
layouts, lyx2lyx, scripts, templates, ui) should be under $datadir which
defaults to $datarootdir/$package, e.g. /usr/local/share/lyx2.3
($datarootdir defaults to $prefix/share).

The remaining directories from the second list would be located as follows:

bin:    $prefix/bin
fonts:  $datarootdir/fonts/truetype/$package
locale: $datarootdir/locale
tex:    $datarootdir/texmf/tex/latex/$package

Both the binaries in $bin and the translations in $locale would get a
version suffix.

For windows the easiest thing would be to set both $prefix and $datarootdir
to the same installation directory. The only thing which would be special
would be the TeX files.

> Each of them _could_ be installed on different place, one has only to
> specify where do we want them. The prerequisite (IMHO) is that we should
> be able to install different versions at the same time. Without conflicts.

Yes. In addition, there are certain standards that should be followed, so
that e.g. translations are found without special configurations.

Georg