Le 15/06/2016 00:51, Enrico Forestieri a écrit :
On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 10:20:32PM +0100, Guillaume Munch wrote:
As for lyx2lyx, I gave one example of a commit which explicitly said
that it would not be made round-trip, and another example where it had
to be fixed afterwards because a special case was not taken into
accountn because it is developped on a trial-and-error basis.

Yes, development should not be performed on a trial-and-error basis.
Thanks for the mud.

Enrico, actually I do not believe that lyx2lyx can be developed without
trial-and-error, because of how loosely defined the lyx file format is.
(And if it ever was properly defined, and the goal was to convert
between perfectly-given specification, then it would use surer tools
than python and regexps.) This is the reason why I do not find wise to
rely on lyx2lyx in the context of testing (not counting the
impossibility of perfect round-trip).

The commit I was referring to, I did not even look into its details to
see whether it was a mistake or not, because I had assumed that it is
part of the necessary process of writing lyx2lyx. In an earlier message
I have said that I picked your file format change as an example because,
to my knowledge, it was the most complex for 2.2.

I can now understand better your reaction on the bug tracker. But, don't
take things so personally! :)