Some time back, there was a discussion on the list about the labels of
collapsed branches. As it is now, we display a bit of text from the
branch. The general view was that this is not very useful, and it makes
documents with lots of branches look terrible. The proposal was to label
collapsed branches the same way we label uncollapsed ones: with the
branch name, and a marker showing whether it is "on". Info on what's in
the inset will still be available from the tooltip.

I've attached a patch to the bug report
    http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/10213
and intend to commit unless there are objections.

Richard