On 08/06/2016 07:42 AM, racoon wrote:
> Dear LyX devs,
>
> I find it very convenient in LyX that one can easily insert notes into
> the text while editing a document. I make heavy usage of this feature.
>
> However, at some stages in working on my documents seeing those notes
> and certain other insets seems distracting to me. Then I sometimes
> find myself typesetting (via View) the document even though I am not
> actually working with anything important of the actual typeset.
>
> Therefore, it would be nice to "hide" (not just "close") certain
> insets. So I suggest such a feature.
>
> How to set insets as "hidden"? Same as setting insets as "closed".
>
> How to see "hidden" insets? I suggest two (non-exclusive) ways:
>
> 1. From a "Hidden" list in the outline.
> 2. Have two "Document Views": one that shows Hidden insets another
> that doesn't.

Presumably, this should be controlled via View> Hide/Show Insets. But
there's a question whose answer is not obvious: Which insets do we hide?
Some notes?All notes? Different people may answer differently.

So I wonder whether an "ultra-minimalist" button format might be a
better option. This would give you per-inset-type control over this sort
of thing. The idea would be that insets with this "decoration" would
appear, say, only as a thin bar, maybe 2px wide. Then you could still
open them by clicking on them. Activting and de-activating this would
then be as simple as loading or unloading a module that re-defined the
decoration for some insets (or adding/commenting out a few lines of
local layout).

Richard