Den 02. aug. 2016 08:11, skrev Kornel Benko:
Am Dienstag, 2. August 2016 um 01:24:38, schrieb Scott Kostyshak
<skost...@lyx.org>
On Mon, Aug 01, 2016 at 11:50:52AM -0400, Richard Heck wrote:
Click somewhere with the mouse. Now move the cursor with the keyboard.
Then shift-click to select. The selection will begin (or end) where you
had previously clicked with the mouse, not where you had moved the
cursor with the keyboard.
I can reproduce with Qt 4 and Qt 5 and back to LyX 2.1.0.

Scott
I can reproduce too, but I think, it is the correct behaviour. Using the
up/down keys which
resets the selection start does not feel right IMHO.

No! Fortunately, LyX 2.2 on linux behave the way I expect: When I shift-click somewhere, I get a selection from the current text cursor point to the shift-click point. No matter how the text cursor got there.

Seriously, people move the cursor around by mouse and by keyboard. When they need to select, they surely don't consider *how* the cursor was moved? LyX place no marker at "the last click location", having a selection go from there seems weird. Also consider that the "last click" may be far away - I can type for many minutes without using the mouse at all. My hands are at the keyboard when I write text, so cursor movements are mostly done with arrow keys and pageup/down. Some people uses the mouse more - but that is individual, and depending on whether you type new stuff or just move around touching up.

Now, the mouse is fine for making selections. but if they cursor already is correctly placed at one end, I see no need to click the same location so the "location of the last click" also is in the same place. The location of the last click may have scrolled off screen, it may have been cut, erased or moved around . . .

Other GUI sw (thunderbird etc.) that moves the cursor when clicking, also uses the cursor position regardless of how the cursor got there. xterm is the only I have seen that cares about "the location of last click", but xterm does not position the cursor upon mouse clicks and so is very different.

Helge Hafting