Am Freitag, den 16.09.2016, 22:47 +0100 schrieb Guillaume Munch:
> Actually I did generalize, by giving an objective reason: consistency
> with other search fields.

Consistent with which search field? The one in the PanelStack that
greys out items that do not match the filter instead of hiding them (do
you want to do this here as well?)? The one in the Refs dialog that is
below the browser widget and does not provide regex (the next candidate
for dropping, then)?

And how does your proposal to bind the Enter key to jumping widgets add
consistency?

> I do not think that it all comes down to the tastes and habits of
> developers. On the contrary, I believe that this sort of argument
> does
> not lead to great design: it leads to dialogs with three different
> ways
> to validate changes, where a button "Apply" does not have the same
> effect between the two preferences dialogs, and where one is offered
> the
> choice to search as one types or not. Another consequence is that I
> often refrain myself from making (what I find are) small improvements
> because I know that such changes can trigger long discussions.

You are a developer as well (and we both are users), and what you
propose is inevitably based on your tastes and habits. So please do not
play out "subjective" and "objective" reasons. (And believe it or not,
I am also able to abstract from my own narrow POV; I can follow your
arguments, but still I think the current UI makes sense).

> > The proposal to assign "Enter" to a different function seems to
> > imply
> > the proposal to remove the option to toggle "search on fly". If you
> > mean this, I will object, since I'd like to have it switched off.
>
> Yes, this is what I mean.

I think it makes sense since this is a filter that needs to filter very
long lists (in my case several thousand entries in over 70 fields). The
performance is acceptable, but I am not sure what happens with larger
databases.

Having said that, I am completely fine with making "search on fly" opt-
out.

> > We could assign "Enter" to a second function anyway (if "search on
> > fly"
> > is activated or even if it isn't, after the filter has been
> > applied),
> > but I think this would be irritating. And in general, I think that
> > the
> > binding of the Enter moving widgets is quite opaque.
> >
> > What's wrong with Alt-V?
> >

> Nothing is wrong with Alt-V.

Good.

Jürgen