On 2016-10-08, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 07:53:13PM +0000, Guenter Milde wrote:

>> It does not suffice to test whether compilation runs without an error.
>> This does in no way guarantee that the output is OK.

> I see. I suppose it comes down to whether we think that the proposed
> changes have a better chance of fixing something than breaking
> something. As Jean-Pierre pointed out, we already have a case where
> such changes fixed something. I don't know enough to estimate what the
> chance is that the proposed changes lead to an error that is not
> reported by compilation and that can only be seen by manual inspection.

In addition to possible wrong output, there can be other cases of
intentional non-default settings.

In the case of "banned" math-packages, it may be the intention to ensure
compilability with a minimal TeX installation.

As compilation with pdflatex is a must for the docs, the "banning"
ensures the problem is spotted by any editor. A compilation error due to
missing packages would then mean that the content should be changed to
ensure the document can be compiled also without packages that are
present with a full installation but not in a custom "cut-down"
installation.

I don't know whether this is the intention here, but I would give Uwe as
maintainer the say about the correct settings.

Günter