Am 16.10.2016 um 16:59 schrieb Jürgen Spitzmüller:
Am Sonntag, den 16.10.2016, 16:41 +0200 schrieb Sven Schreiber:

The attached Latex file uses the "siunitx" package (which I've never

Thank you. I am aware of this package, but it has some disadvantages
for our purpose:

2. For proper results, one has to tell siunitx the maximum number of
numbers before and after the decimal separator, and it is hard to
calculate that from within LyX (this is also the reason why we use our
own approach instead of the dcolumn package).

OK, this of course complicates things quite a bit. I don't see how the max number calculation would be more difficult in Lyx than in Latex given that the user input is the same, but already in Latex I can see it's a hassle.

So I think that it would be a reasonable compromise to have the decimal-aligned columns (and multicolumns) centered only.

The rest of the argument between the different devels is a bit difficult to follow, however. What exactly is the disagreement, perhaps someone can summarize the two (or more?) positions?

thanks,
sven