On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 03:12:50PM +0200, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> I have searched a bit, and the only thing I have found (with my MUA
> Thunderbird)
> is to change _all_ my attachments to be base64. I'll try that, because I
> prefer to have you with me than against me ;), but I may have to revert to
> some more standard way of working.

No problem. I was suspecting I was the only one suffering this issue.
As I am an unreasonable man, I persist in trying to adapt the world
to myself instead of adapting to the world...

> >This is because mutt takes them to be separate emails placed somewhere
> >else in the list of emails and I have to search for them or edit the
> >mailbox file to add a ">" just before "From" in order to actually see
> >them as attachments.
>
> That's very weird, if you ask me.

From the mutt manual (this From will be escaped by MUAs):

   mbox. This is a widely used mailbox format for UNIX. All messages are
   stored in a single file. Each message has a line of the form:
   From m...@cs.hmc.edu Fri, 11 Apr 1997 11:44:56 PST
   to denote the start of a new message (this is often referred to as the
   "From_" line). The mbox format requires mailbox locking, is prone to
   mailbox corruption with concurrently writing clients or misinterpreted
   From_ lines. Depending on the environment, new mail detection can be
   unreliable. Mbox folders are fast to open and easy to archive.

The last bits are the ones important to me and the reason I prefer mbox.
One can have a single mbox file in a given directory containing all email
exchanges about the documents in that directory.

--
Enrico