On 22.10.2016 15:47, Joel Kulesza wrote:
On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 7:20 AM, racoon <xraco...@gmx.de
<mailto:xraco...@gmx.de>> wrote:

    However, I am at the moment considering to change LyX's spacing such
    that the cursor before an element starts directly at the element. As
    is the case with normal characters. It is just a thought for now.
    This would only be sensible when the cursor automatically changes
    color when placed at a border because it would become (almost)
    invisible otherwise. I guess, even these spacing setting could be a
    setting in the preference. We'll see.

That's an interesting thought, but I'll admit I'm having a hard time
visualizing it.  What benefit do you see from the modified spacing?
Wouldn't putting the two things closer together make it yet harder to
see?  How will this effect selecting things (will one have to be even
more precise)?

The benefit of removing (or almost removing) space around insets is to make sure it is not mistaken for a "real" space. Since many insets are working just like characters it seems reasonable to make the spacing around them similar.

Yes, the selecting is already a bit tricky. But maybe that can be fixed as well...

Daniel