On 2016-10-22, Paul Johnson wrote:

Dear Paul,

> I usually get great results. Except when I am in a hurry and forget to
> change default fonts.

Good news: we are working on a fix to the "default default font" problem.
See http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/9741 .

> In particular, I've been stung by the combination of
> the listings class and default typewriter font.  Last week,  I threw in a
> lot of R code with "<-" printed to pdf as "< ". There were invisible
> dashes. I did not notice and printed handouts for a group. Other symbols
> have gone missing, sometimes ~ in verbatim class is invisible.

I could not reproduce this. A *minimal* example may help. Also, are the
dashes/tildes just invisible or missing? (What happens with drag-and-drop
from the PDF? What happens if you zoom in in the PDF viewer?)

> It is easy to fix by setting typewriter to Latin modern or other font, but
> in an emergency, I always forget.

First suggestion: put your favourite font settings in the standard
template (and all special templates as well)!
(There is a "templates" buttonl in the save-as dialogue. This brings you to
the templates directory. Templates are normal LyX files in a special
directory. The "special feature" is that when opening via New from Template,
the filename is cleared.)

> You would make my life more fun if you would make the default something
> not-yet-known to give bad results. I'm not talking about fuzzy font edges.
> Invisible characters without warning are super bad. Awful.

However, we are stuck between a rock and a hard place:

* There must be a setting where LyX does not interfere with the font and
  font encoding selection by LaTeX.
  (For fonts, this setting is called "Default", for the font encoding it is
  currently called "None".)

* With these default settings, hyphenation is wrong in most languages.

  Many languages (Afrikaans, French, German, Irish, Latin, Norwegian,
  Spanish, Slovak, Swedish, Turkish, Welsh, ...) are fixed by setting the
  font encoding to T1. Therefore LyX has this as "default default".

* When neither the document class nor the document preamble (or in our case
  LyX) select a custom font, LaTeX falls back to Computer Modern (with font
  encoding OT1) or the bitmap EC substitute (with font encoding T1).

This means for non English documents the choice is between bad fonts or bad
hyphenation and bad support for accented characters (no drag-and-drop from
the PDF).

Currently, the "default default" font encoding can be customized under
Tools>Preferences>Output>LaTeX but the plan is to replace this with an
"automatic" setting for the best compromise.

> So I offer $100 US if you will change the default font to Latin modern or
> any other one. I know that's not much, but I am sincere.

What would you prefer as "automatic" choice in case of conflict (language
calling for a font encoding not supported by the font)?

> I note your FAQ already admits that default LyX fonts make bad PDF. I will
> leave to others to discuss that. But the default typewriter font has to go.

Lets have a separate look at the typewriter font. (BTW, the txtt
typewriter font is a recommended choice - support for bold, etc. good
legibility, ... It even got good notes from typophiles not impressed by TeX
and CM.)

Günter