I come late into this thread, which I kind of neglected (shame on me!). A few comments below.

Le 04/01/2017 à 13:41, Jürgen Spitzmüller a écrit :
Yes, this is why we need static quotes (or just a convenient way to
insert
Unicode quote characters) besides the "dynamic" quotes.

Indeed. And no, not unicode characters. Real quote insets with proper
semantics (such as "open"/"close", "inner"/"outer"), which can easily
be modified.

Agreed.

I propose to change the pre-set keybinding for " from "quote-insert"
"quote-insert * * dynamic".

We could make dynamic quotes the default, if this finds a majority. But
I am strictly opposed to require fiddling with lfuns to change quote
style.

Why do we need to specify in the lfun whether dynamic is the default? Isn't the document setting doing exactly that?

Also, the UI is much cleaner the way it is now.

A few comments on the UI:

* concerning the dialog: there is something that I miss in this dialog, but I have difficulties to express what it is. First, I think there should be a Auto setting for quote types, which gives the type adapted to the language. I understand that the second menu changes with language, but this is not intuitive IMO. I'd prefer a line
  Auto («outer» and "inner")
that shows better what is happening.

* concerning the context menu: what about separating a few check boxes
 [ ] left
 [x] right
 [x] outer
 [ ] inner
 [ ] dynamic
and then a list of quotes type as in the dialog menu? This seems easier than the complicated submenus we have now.

* there is still the issue of the additional spacing in French text that is not visible in the UI.

I apologize in advance if I am rehashing old arguments.